Sunday, September 30, 2007

Prologue

This blog has been waiting to happen.

I’ve been contemplating to start a blog since my stint at Republic Poly where many of my students blogged their emotional rollercoaster rides that characterized those heady, hormone-charged years between 18-22. And as a facilitator, nearly 15 years older than some of my students, it was interesting reading these entries although teenage angst doesn’t change very much over the decades. Their blogs became a platform for me to discover their cognitive and emotional processes and barriers which further helped me facilitate their learning.

But I never could really understand why my students blog. Yah, yah – it’s to share their lives with their friends, to express their inner thoughts and feelings. Some enterprising ones even turn it into a business! But I’m old school. I belonged to the era where diaries were tucked away under a lock and key, where all hell breaks loose should the privacy of our inner sanctity is violated. Besides, my life with my mates are so tightly integrated -– what is there that they do not know about my life which I don’t gripe about?

Which then begets the question, why am I blogging now?

Because, a-hem, I want to share my inner thoughts and feelings. I want to share my life and adventures in Dubai with my friends and family who are 5000 miles away right now.

Since I am physically separated from ever-loving-but-extremely-naggy parents, my Frisbee-triathlon-prata-karaoke buddies, my innate human desire to create, communicate and bond needs another outlet. And personal blogs and space like Facebook, MySpace and Blogspot fills this gap.

So much for the rationalization (so me, hor!). Actually the original intention of this entry was to explain why it is called Summer Villa.

(Okay, guys – my apartment is NOT going to be a villa, so dash those hopes of beachfront bbq at Jumeira Beach. But hey, what’s internet if not for a bit of hyperbole?)

Anyways, since all my friends are smarter than me, they will have no problems realizing it is a triple entendre on my name, the balmy weather in Dubai and my virtual home for all that is happening for the XX months to come. So here’s to more exciting adventures in the forthcoming Sum-mer Days and Arabian Nights!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe..:)

nice post sum :)
i guess u can't rationalize too much till completely detached from ur emotions and feelings. I can still sense (sum) emotions going on as u write :) Don't worry...just be u who u are :p

:) believe it'll be for ur good this time in Dubai.
Looking forward to hear more ur stories on the other side of sea :D